The Duval County Council PTA would like to thank Dr. Nikolai Vitti for keeping PTA membership informed by addressing member questions. Dr. Vitti will answers question at the next DCCPTA general meeting March 28 @ 9:30 am at the school board building.
- Information about the Midyear assessment results.
Click Here for a recent presentation regarding student achievement at midyear.
- What professional development is available to math teachers? Is it mandatory?
Professional development for mathematics is provided weekly via face-to-face meetings or on a digital platform, and every other week through early release and administrator-led common planning. Mathematics professional development offerings are also available throughout the school year. Mandatory professional development for math teachers occurs each week. Two times per month the mandatory professional development is offered by the district and twice per month the mandatory professional development is facilitated by the school leadership team.
- Can after school tutoring be held with teachers who have been specially selected?
This would need to be negotiated through collective bargaining. The challenge here is if specific teachers are willing to conduct after school tutoring.
- Can students participate in the evaluation of their teachers?
No. Student input is not a factor in the approved teacher evaluation system. Teacher assessments are a negotiated item, and must include the components required by the state.
- Can DCPS employees serve as PTA Treasurer and/or one of the signatures on PTA checks?
After receiving this request, we consulted our internal auditors as well as the other large districts in the state. We would recommend not using a district employee as PTA Treasurer or a cosigner on PTA checks, if there are other options available. I understand that there are instances where it is difficult to find individuals to fulfill this function. A district employee may serve in this role under the following conditions:
- The employee cannot serve this role at their assigned workplace.
- The employee cannot be a signer on any other district funds (this would eliminate bookkeepers and principals, at minimum).
- The employee cannot handle PTA funds at any point during their work hours at their current work site.
- The employee must have written approval from their current supervisor.
- The employee should have a PTA officer that is not a signer on the PTA account review the monthly financial reports prior to submitting them to the school.
- What is the district doing about weapons in schools?
Click Here for a PowerPoint presentation that outlines the issues and next steps. I understand that several DCC PTA Board Members recommended the Know the Law presentation by JSO and Drug-Free Duval. We have followed up on this, and The Parent Academy will be offering several sessions soon.
Dr. Nikolai Vitti, Superintendent
Duval County Public Schools
1701 Prudential Drive
Jacksonville, FL 32207